VMware Update Manager Plugin Error: Database temporarily unavailable or has network problems

You might see an error, immediately after installation of VUM (VMware Update Manager) and after installing its plugin:

There was an error connecting to VMware vSphere Update Manager –

[Server Name:443].  Database temporarily unavailable or has network problems.

Here is a screenshot for reference:

VMware Update Manager - Plugin Error

VMware Update Manager – Plugin Error

This generally happens to people like me who prefer running programs under specific accounts.  I always run this service under Windows Authentication like this:

VMware Update Manager - Authentication

VMware Update Manager – Authentication

The issue is that, despite entering a username and password, the service sets up under the “Local System” account as shown in the screenshot:

VMware Update Manager - Services

VMware Update Manager – Services

Effect of this is that the plug-in can’t authenticate and therefore, connect to the database.

Fix to this issue is quite simple.  Immediately after installation of VMware Update Manager:

• Fire up the “Services” MMC.
  • Locate the “VMware vSphere Update Manager Service”.
  • Click on the “Log On” tab.
  • Change “Log on as:” from “Local System account” to “This account” and add the service account you chose to run the service under.
  • Once done, a dialogue box comes up, telling you about the “Log On As A Service” right being granted to that account.
VMware Update Manager - Log On Tab

VMware Update Manager – Log On Tab

Remember: You also need to restart the service for this change to take effect.

Once done, you can quite safely go to the plugin install and this time, it should work perfectly as normal!

Hope this helps!

Like this:

Like Loading...
By | 2016-12-11T15:25:06+00:00 July 29th, 2013|ESX, How To, vCenter, Virtual Lab, Virtualization, VMware, vSphere, VUM|17 Comments

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

About the Author:

Ather Beg is a technology and virtualisation blogger and is Chief Virtualogist at Virtualogists Ltd, which is a consultancy focusing on virtualised solutions. Ather has worked in IT for over 20 years and contributes his findings on this blog. In addition to holding several industry-related certifications, he has also been awarded vExpert status by VMware.

17 Comments

1. Frank August 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM - Reply

Timely and helpful post. Thanks for sharing!

• Ather August 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM - Reply

You’re welcome Frank! 🙂

2. Abel November 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM - Reply

Thanks!

• Ather November 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM - Reply

You’re welcome 🙂

3. Sasha November 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM - Reply

You rock man

4. Hayden April 14, 2014 at 11:48 PM - Reply

no blog site or website was able to help me resolve this annoying problem which I had for 3 days and could not find a resolution. I tried everything every website suggested. I finally fixed the problem after digging further into the logs and determined that my database VIM_UMDB transaction log file was full. It was set to 2048. To resolve the problem I changed it to 4096 and I finally got to enable the Update Manager plugin. Now I have to resolve the transaction log filling up. I have weekly jobs set to run, however, not sure went wrong. I am still investigating. FYI:
    My SQL database resides on a separate server. There were no problems with the ODBC driver connectivity from the vCenter server to the remote SQL server or the update manager service user and password, changing these did nothing to help, the real problem was the transaction log for update manager database. Hope this bit of information helped.

5. Paul July 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM - Reply

This worked for me thanks!

6. Vyacheslav July 1, 2015 at 11:53 AM - Reply

Thanks! Big !

7. Bashir July 10, 2015 at 5:22 PM - Reply

Thanks man, I happy I found this article. Took me 5 minutes to resolve. With Vmware it would have taken me 2 days

8. Luis August 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM - Reply

Thank you!!! after five day of research.

9. paul grevink November 3, 2015 at 1:44 PM - Reply

Thanks for sharing, life saver

10. akmcafee November 11, 2015 at 8:54 PM - Reply

Worked perfectly for me. Good screenshots with ability to enlarge them. Thank you.

11. […] checked the ODBC and it connected fine, so something was up. I found a blog post from someone who mentioned that if you are using windows authentication for the DB, then the update […]

12. […] this is a “bucket” error for the web client but as I have seen a service issue with vSphere Update Manager soon after installation before, I immediately looked into “Services”. Surely enough, […]

13. alan March 24, 2016 at 2:21 AM - Reply

awesome..thanks so much 🙂

14. MattD September 13, 2016 at 8:56 PM - Reply

This only works if your VCenter server is a Windows box. What if you have this error and you are using an Virtual Appliance?

• Ather Beg September 14, 2016 at 11:56 AM - Reply

A very good question! Unfortunately, I can’t answer that one as I haven’t seen that one yet.

Ather